The Enemy I Don’t Know

Back in May I mentioned the possibility of surgery for an ongoing health issue.  I refuse to go into the specifics of the problem here.  It’s not that I don’t like you guys.  It’s more I don’t want to rehash them again, and it’s way too much detail for the average person.  No one wants to hear the ooey gooey workings or rather not workings of someone’s innards.  It’s just gross.  So things around here are going to stay vague.

I was scheduled for an appointment yesterday to move forward with surgery plans.  I had a list of questions I wanted to ask, and a few days before I had started researching exactly what’s up with the organs in question.  I did not like what I found.  From what I gathered, this surgery would fix a part of the problem, but it would also cause significant issues with other organs when they tried to compensate.  The maintenance for the alternative problem…is the same thing I’m currently doing to manage my issue now!

This is EXACTLY why I was hesitant and skeptical about a sudden fix to my problem.  Nothing is ever free.  The pain might be lessened, there’s no way to know for sure until I heal up, but the side effects would be permanent.

Put the brakes on, people.  I agree that something needs to change because I don’t want to live like this forever, but I’m not so sure that jumping to surgery is where I want to go.  I know that researching without a doctor’s supervision can lead to a lot of hype and anxiety that’s completely unfounded.  It added quite a bit to my question list for my scheduled appointment, the main one being am I going to blow up like the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka if I decide not to get cut open?  If I have to manage something for the rest of my life, I think I’d rather work with what I know versus an unknown.  Me and this dysfunctional body have grown quite close, ya know.

Then yesterday morning I got a call saying my doc had a medical emergency and would be out until who knows when but at least until the end of the year.  Say wha?  Seriously?  My options are to go back into the TriCare system, get another referral to a specialist, and start all over with a new doc or try and wait out my current doc.

Fantastic.

At least I can absolutely guarantee that no surgery will be happening before DH is home.

Advertisements

1 Comment (+add yours?)

  1. Wiley
    Jul 08, 2010 @ 09:13:22

    Ugh. Ok, that is screwed up – on both counts (actually I said something a little less G-rated initially, but anyway…) I am sorry to hear that. And as frustrating as it must be to have to start all over and deal with a new doc now, at least you’ll get a second opinion… “Not a great silver lining, I know.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: